Curiosity, Thoughts and Whatever...

I'm not a regular blogger just occasionally wanna share some thoughts and ideas to the rest of the world. Hope you like what you see and written.....:))




2.5" Harddisk Media Player


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Sarotech DVP-260s

This little gadget cost me RM 530 in lowyat. Actually its RM 365 (Player) + RM 155 (160GB WD HDD) and etc as cc charges. The image on Sarotech website was impressive. It looks solid, tech savvy and cool. However, the actual real product is far from the truth. The image of the product on the website itself had been touch up. So you can't see the flimsy, transparent plastic cover wrapping around the whole unit. There is only a thin aluminium piece wrapping around on the side of the unit to disperse the heat. Ventilation isn't very good. There are some holes at the back cover but not enough to disperse the temperature. Therefore while the unit is running the heat from the hdd and the enclosure is very very bad. I couldn't hold or touch it for long while its running. I think it could do with more heatsink or aluminium fin or an internal liquid cooling or something. Beside that there is an electrical charge on the body of the metal/aluminium case itself which gave me a shock. This is most prevalent when I try to use S-cable to hook it up to my TV. When I read the power adapter specification, it was stated 2A operating current. Wow, that's a lot for something so small and though its DC a 2A electrical shock will definitely give you a wake up called. After a few shock, I think I already built up the phobia and hence was reluctant to hold the unit anymore.


What I don't like about these electronic devices is that usually there are not grounded. I mean there should be a regulation to govern and protection of devices as well as customer. I have a few VCD/DVD players and all of them come with a 2 pin plug which technically are not grounded. Thus Sarotech I felt wasn't very safety conscious by supplying the standard 2 pin plug socket. Hence, I am thinking of whether to make a formal complaint or return the unit to the seller. Nevertheless, I have written a simple email to Sarotech asking for their opinion and feedback whether the electrical shock is confine to my unit alone or its "standard" for all unit. A week is coming to a close ad I have not heard from them. So that speak a lot about their company reputation and also their product. If I am right, my guess is that this so called Korean company is just like those Chinese company. For all we know it might be manufacture in China but stamped with a Korean badge.

OK, besides the 2 problem above, the unit does work. However, the visual quality isn't that fantastic. To me its just normal. I try connection through TV using RCA and S-cable and both yield very much the same output quality. I am giving Sarotech the benefit of doubt and thus place the quality issue on my TV. Perhaps a LCD would yield a much better quality. However, my CRT Panasonic TV is very much very new and is only 2 yrs old. If I am not wrong my TV resolution can support up to 1080i also. Thus I would try to connect to my other LG LCD to make another comparison later on.


0 Responses to “2.5" Harddisk Media Player”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3